Thursday, August 4, 2011

Upcoming Appearance: The Asia Literary Review

This is a dream. This is dream...

As a writer, I get rejected a lot. I submit my work, and dread getting that return email. In my inbox, the message's first few words would be previewed. When the message starts with something like "Thank you for your submission," I already know that the next line (once I do click open the message), would be "We regret to inform you that we will not be publishing your work blah blah". That's the rejection form letter.

That was how I felt when I saw the Asia Literary Review's email. I read the previewed "Thank you..." and my  mind was automatically resigned to the fate of the poems I submitted on December 2010 (yeah, it was that long ago). But I was wrong. It was an acceptance letter for two poems, "Three Meals" and "Etiquette."

Poetry editor Martin Alexander mentioned "I very much enjoyed reading your work..." and I was extremely thankful and humbled that the pieces would be that much appreciated. I was like, so dreams do come true. Because when I was writing more fiction, I kind of didn't expect anymore, with the heaps of rejection letters I kept getting.

I have many many people to thank for these recent successes. The fellows and panelists of the 18th Iligan National Writers Workshop, 49th Silliman University National Writers Workshop, 10th Iyas Creative Writing Workshop, 9th Ateneo National Writers Workshop. I had little access to poetry because I was all sci-fi and fantasy, but through these workshops, I learned about stuff like line cuts and objective correlatives.

I still can't believe it.

4 comments:

Bullfrog said...

: You're not just on a roll, Anne. You're metaphorical ball is well-inflated too.

[ confetti ]

Anne Carly Abad said...

Life surprises in many ways indeed. My goodness!

C. M. Albrecht said...

Hi Anne. I'm trying to learn something about the way Etreasures operates (or rather, doesn't operate). Over three years ago the original owner accepted two books. Shortly thereafter, Ms Eskuchon took over. I have never received one statement and certainly not a penny. My emails have gone unanswered up until I wrote ant told her that when my three year contracts came to term I would not renew. She did answer and wanted me to renew, even promising to put my second book in print if I did. I finally agreed and on May 10 she said she'd send out the contracts in just a few days. Still (not) waiting. Since the site keeps on talking upbeat and seeking submissions, I just wonder if anyone at all is getting statements and possibly even a little money. You can write to me at albrechtcm@gmail.com Thanks, Carl

Anne Carly Abad said...

@CM, hello there, I was published by eTreasures a few months back and replies to email inquiries are really quite slow. I'd like to ask you about them, too. Will send you an email.

:) - Anne