Monday, December 20, 2010

Now Reading: The Rowan by Anne McCaffrey


The Rowan is the first book of McCaffrey's Tower and Hive collection, which I'm only now beginning to explore. I've read a couple of her Pern novels, which I've enjoyed and reread a number of times, until I developed a stronger liking for  science fiction. Well her dragons are 'scientific', but in my opinion, she leans more toward fantasy in her Pern novels. It may be that I'm getting nerdier by the day, that's why I'm liking sci-fi more, or I must have previously read too much fantasy that I've become too used to all the sword and magic tropes.

Anyhow I'm not done with this book yet, but I felt strongly enough about it to make a post. Gotta say I'm hooked. I've searched some reviews and most of them are positive. I like following the life of this young telepathic girl called The Rowan. And I'm totally intrigued at the thought of exploring a world where pschokinetic abilities, not to mention clairvoyance, run the system, thereby sidestepping the usual "speed limit" in space travel.

No comments: