Friday, December 21, 2012

Thought I'd Never Write Fiction Again

Really. I dunno what happened. I used to dream of writing multiple novels, because back in 2010, that was all I wanted to do. I'd sit in a corner in the library and write away. I finished my 100K novel in less than a year, the revisions took a lot longer.

And then the frenzy stopped. The well was dry. No inspiration to write the sequels to the story. I tried, because I believed in discipline. But I just felt like I was bleeding every time I tried to write.

The bleeding ended when I tried out poetry. For some reason, the well had filled up again in reading and writing poems. I've been writing nothing but poems since then, and it's been more than a year since I last wrote fiction. I think maybe it's been 2 years? I can't remember.

But I woke up one morning with a strong idea that felt whole and ready to be fleshed out in the word. I wrote a new story this week, and it's ready to be revised. I hope it's good! :) I'll try to submit it somewhere once I'm done weeding out the unnecessaries.

2 comments:

C. M. Albrecht said...

Not to worry. Every time I finish a book I seem to hit a dry spell where I just can't focus. Sort of a post partum blues thing maybe. I reach my real nadir when I decide it's all over. My writing days are past and I'm at the point of deleting all my notes, etc. In fact, in the past I've even thrown away entire novels.
But then, one day, or more likely, in the middle of the night, a glimmer comes to me and before I know it, I'm getting all enthused with a new concept and the entire process starts all over again.
Takaway here: There's always hope, I hope.

Anne Carly Abad said...

Oh dear, why would you throw away an entire novel? I think that would make me cry if I did that to myself. I just keep the files :)