Sunday, February 13, 2011

Odd Nightmare

Dreams can be really baffling. Sometimes, they show you normal aspects of everyday life, like say, work. You feel as if you've gone through a day at the office, only to wake up and find that the day is just beginning. You have to go through the whole 9-to-6 drill all over again.

Sometimes they're plain nonsense. Once, I dreamed I could fly if I shook this branch of a mango tree in my hands.

Last night, I had a nightmare. When I told my mom and friends about it, it seemed funny. But in the dream realm, it was awfully unpleasant. I was doing my groceries. I was filling up the basket with stuff. I didn't even seem to care what I was tossing in. A bunch of nameless, plastic-wrapped things. When I was about to pay at the counter, I found that the grocery basket was no longer in my hands. I scurried off, somehow knowing where to go. Met some friends (dunno why they were in my dream, but it seemed we all happened to be in the same store). They told me to go to the meat section to get my basket. Found it. Lost it again. Chased the guy who snatched it from me. Found it. Lost it again.

The cycle went on like this. It felt like hours. Until my mom woke me up. I'd forgotten to turn on the alarm. I posted this awful dream in my FB stat. One of my friends, Leslie, pointed out that the dream might be symbolic of something I'm searching for in my life, a something that keeps getting wrested from my hands.

And so...I've decided to look up a possible interpretation of my dream, because yes, I feel as if I don't know what I want these days. I told myself I'd like to simplify my life from now on, avoid the perfectionism that's been driving me to depression for so long. And yet, the simplicity that I seem to have achieved proves to taste paltry compared to the achievements I so long for.
Shopping Cart

To see or use a shopping cart in your dream, indicates that you are reaping the rewards and benefits of your hard work. Alternatively, to push a shopping cart in your dream, suggests that you need to search out more options for some aspect of your life. Remember that you have choices and you do not need to settle. If the shopping cart is empty, then it suggests that you are coming up empty in some endeavor or plan.
I like the part about searching out more options. Perhaps, it's time to move on...from many things. Among people I've been holding on to, perhaps it's time to stop clinging, find my center once more. Among the things I thought I'd be doing forever, perhaps it's time to look for a new hobby. Writing fiction has been pretty tiresome these days. Perhaps it's time to find something else I'm good at, for now.

No comments: