70% of the time, I submit work to paying publications. The other 30% are for the non-paying zines that I either read already or read ABOUT in reviews. I choose paying pubs for several reasons:
1. The curation of the work is USUALLY of higher quality.
2. They place a budget on cover art.
3. They place a premium value on art, contributing to a culture that supports artists.
This is not to say that non-paying joints produce low-quality work. But I have seen it happen. Perhaps because the publisher has a free reign to include as many literary pieces as it likes. Like padding. I have also, however, seen non-paying reviews that publish high quality work. I enjoyed reading these journals so much that I wonder why they aren't getting the readership they deserve?!
Anyway, here are the places where I will appear in this year.
- The Philippines Graphic Magazine - "As We Wake" (Already out, March 2, 2015)
- Mythic Delirium 2.1 - "The Secret Life of Cabinets"
- Garden Gnome Publications' Deluge Anthology - "Aqualung"
- The Write Place at the Write Time - "Frying Eggs" and "To the Coddled Youth"
- The Cascadia Subduction Zone - "This How You Teach a Bird to Walk" and "The Weight of Forgiveness."
- Nameless Magazine - "The Gospel of Gossip", "The Verbose Contagion", "The Devil's Darning Needle"
- Dreams and Nightmares - "A Witch's Thousand Years of Joy"
Thank you to the editors for the opportunity!