Monday, April 11, 2011

New Training Cycle for 2011 :)

The Natgeo Earth Day Run last Sunday was...how do I say this, really fun. I believe this must be one of the the biggest races I ever joined, with over 10,000 participants. I was awed by the sheer number of people. I didn't know how great the running community's been doing these past few days. Looks like the trend has really taken off! And well, lots of companies are able to make money out of this by charging us a hell lot more than they did five years ago, when I could register for a race and get a singlet for as low as Php200.

In any case, the run was for our planet, and I guess the Php900++ I paid for the 10K distance is nothing compared to what we've done to harm nature. I've never raced in Bonifacio High Street before, and it was the first time I experienced the "high" part of the street. The route had about four uphill climbs, with the last one being the longest. It was good I came prepared, as I'd integrated hill work in my just-finished training program. I didn't get my goal time of 57 mins. I clocked in at about 59+, which is still okay given that I was still had a cough. It was sort of embarrassing coughing while running, almost as if I might have an asthma attack at any moment. At about kilometer 8, I DID feel like I might have an attack (which hasn't happened to me in years), but I still finished strong. Too bad there were too many people heading for the finish line so I wasn't able to sprint my all. At the end of the race, I felt like I still had something to give.

I was so hungry after finishing! And there weren't many freebies save for the 1,000 pizza slices from Greenwich. I was bumped out of the line so I wasn't able to get a piece. Darn, I wish they'd gotten some food brands for sponsors! :S

Met my officemate, Des, at the race. She ran the 5K. And we took some pics while at the activity area:
Aww, how round naman my cheeks haha :b

Des and I (too bad I changed my shirt already, the singlet was pretty cool)


I'll be taking a break for the rest of April. I think I might have developed an overuse injury on my left foot. There's been this throbbing pain on my forefoot that comes back every time I run. I hope by May it's gone as I'll be starting a new program by then. I hope I can make 24 mins for my next 5K race, and 56 for the 10K!

No comments: