Friday, April 8, 2011

Natgeo Run

This will be my last race for this training cycle. I joined the 10K distance for the NATGEO Earth Day Run on April 10, 2011. I've had colds and cough since last week, so I'm having doubts about how I'll do tomorrow. In any case, I'm excited. I've heard there will be lots of international participants. I bet I'll see lots of runners who'll further inspire me in the sport.

I've been musing these days about being "sporty." "Sporty" and "girly" doesn't seem to be a very usual combination in the Philippines. When I see these types of girls in magazines, they're featured as one-of-a-kind creatures, and maybe they are since for the longest time, girls and muscles don't really mix well, unless the muscles belong to a guy. I don't appreciate constantly being called "macho" because for me it's sexist. Can't a girl love her sport and have the body for it, without being called boyish? I don't even have half the muscles of a female Olympic athlete, and the people around me already find it unusual that I have such an athletic bod. It's getting really annoying, this preoccupation with BODY. I just try to block it out of my system, but in times when I'm in a rotten mood, I really won't let it pass. Some might say I should be proud of how I am. But who said I wasn't proud in the first place? I'm not the one who had a problem with being sporty, I don't get surprised I have a body like this. It's no joke what we go through to train almost everyday just to do well in our goal competition, so I'd appreciate it to stop with the "you're a guy" jokes already, because no, I AM A GIRL, accept it.

I so want to curse right now.

No comments: