Monday, November 29, 2010

Upcoming Appearances

No, it's not I who will be appearing, but some of the pieces I've written a while back. These works, I've either submitted months ago or have only recently decided to submit at last (because I did not have the courage to even try).

"Laws of Stone" will appear in one of the anthologies that will be published by the Library of Science Fiction & Fantasy. This antho is entitled “Rockets, Swords, and Rainbows: New Stories of Fantasy,” and it’s got a queer slant. When I wrote my story, I wasn’t really thinking about whether it’s queer or straight or what, but when this got workshopped in Dumaguete, this aspect appears to be very strong. Fortunately, “Laws of Stone” is a perfect fit for this antho (cover below).


I didn't expect this work to be accepted anywhere since it's so darned long. Not really a short story, not really a novelette, certainly not a novel. I have this thing with writing such long short stories. I try to keep them short and sweet. But in the end, the story takes control of the wheel and things just don’t go where I originally planned.

Here’s a teaser of my story:

In the world called Spheria, there are two clashing cultures—the Pilgrims and the so-called Unbelievers, of which include the Draconic races. The two factions have a history of warfare, but have finally achieved a precarious peace with the Pilgrims’ dominance in the war. Two friends, Rael and Uliel, are on a Pilgrimage to become more powerful warriors, but little do they know that the Unbeliever territories have maintained their hostility toward Pilgrims and don’t give a damn about such things as diplomatic immunity. When Rael and Uliel are enslaved by a power greater than their own, they are faced with a struggle not only for freedom but for their very lives.

Secondly, my poem "Laws of Motion" will be published in the ezine called Damazine. I usually keep my poems hidden, but I felt I should try it out. I guess trying really pays of, literally and figuratively speaking. I’ll probably try submitting my other poems in the near future, so I’ve already taken down the ones I’ve placed in this blog.

Funny how both of these works begin with "laws" and were even accepted within two consecutive days. Is this a sign I should go to law school? :b

I was complaining about how bad luck comes in 3’s, but it seems it’s time for me to shut up with all this negativity, because the good things come in 3’s as well. Still waiting for the 3rd good news, if it hasn’t already come.

Will post more updates. Ciao.

2 comments:

John Connor said...

Just got back into Livejournal and found your comment re any news of publication dates regarding Rockets Swords & Rainbows. Wretched thing didn't flag me an email (it's set to do so when a new comment is put up) so apologies for the delay. Recently received a 'contract agreement' from Bill Tucker via email, spoke to Dr Pus ("And this you put on your writing CV?") who has now come out of prostate cancer surgery - but still no firm date for the beast.

Hope that helps?

Anne Carly Abad said...

Thanks, John. Same here, I received the contract, which is reassuring. I thought they'd forgotten. I can't wait to see the book already, hope they launch it soon. :)